WSR: #10: Feburary 21th - 27th 2022
Scripting DIY solutions, course news, and GCIH
Published: February 27, 2022
Reading Time: 2 minutes
This Week’s Recap
This week was relatively light. Had a lot of random IRL stuff to do as well as getting all my paperwork finalized for my masters program. A lot of my week was also spent doomscrolling through twitter and reading about the Ukraine situation 🇺🇦. Also just noticed this is the 10th roundup 🥂. I’ve also seen some others doing a weekly roundup which I think is so so cool.
- Read about the Helsinki Bus Station Theory. I cannot believe how applicable this is to the security industry. Highly recommend reading this.
- Didn’t do anything security related :)
- Decided to pull my phishing course, if you missed it you can read my reasoning why I decided to pull it here. Essentially it boils down to 1. I’m not doing phishing professionally anymore so I can’t keep the course up to date with the latest and greatest techniques. While the course teaches you many TTPs, much of it was based around evilginx2 which no longer works out of the box and requires a lot of tinkering per engagement. This is fine but makes it difficult to support.
- Doomscrolled all day like the rest of the world 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦
- Started working on a tool for index SANS textbooks based on the fantastic tool Voltaire by @0sm0s1z (AKA Matthew Toussain).
- When taking the GSEC Exam I decided to take ~20-30 pages of notes per book. This was great for reviewing the material but was not very helpful on the exam. I’ve decided to go with Lesley Carhart’s (@Hacks4pancakes) style of index found here for my GCIH.
- Cleaned up some of the code for my index program and have got it to a working state. I have lots of ideas for features but the core features are there.
- Made a todo list for the GCIH course of my masters program. Of all the things I’ve learned from taking certifications, having a clear todo list really helps you visualize progress.
- Posted this roundup :)
Have any questions
Do you have any questions? Feel free to reach out to me on twitter. See you next Sunday. :)