WSR: #4: January 3rd-9th 2022
This week a lot of time was spent studying for GSEC and trying not to get too burnt out while in the process.
Published: January 9, 2022
Reading Time: 2 minutes
This Week’s Recap
This week a lot of time was spent studying for GSEC and trying not to get too burnt out while in the process. As a side note, a few people reached out to me to say that they built a blog after reading my last post about why you should start an infosec blog which is very cool to see.
- Bought a ticket to Wild West Hackin’ Fest (Let me know if you’re going to be there!)
- Finished writing Creating an Infosec/IT Blog part 2: A Power User’s Guide to Creating a Blog and published it.
- Submitted [redacted]! fingers crossed
- Outlined the scope of a new project I want to work on that will utilize django.
- This will be a very long project that will take a lot of learning and will be put on the back burner from my other 2022 goals. I don’t have any experience working with Django so this should be fun.
- Spoofpoint was added to Pimp My Kali, thanks Dewalt!
Crammed for GSEC.
Finalized my outline and went over the areas I was having the most trouble with (ehm… windows)
Took my final practice exam
- Got a 90% in just under two hours. I think I’m ready for the exam (I would like to get gold in it), the questions I got wrong I’m not sure I would have gotten right with any amount of studying.
- Made final preparations for GSEC
- I’ve been working on a project that has to do with punycode, hosting websites, and phishing. I’m not sure if I’ve made it to a point where I’m ready to share all my research (there are still a lot of threads to pull on) but here is a sneak peak. When the project is done I will be going a complete write up on all the interesting things I’ve found. :)
Passed the GSEC with an 84!
- I’ll eventually do a review of the cert, Until then, a few people asked me if its worth it. I put together this flowchart that might help you answer Is the GSEC worth it for me.
- Taking the day off to get some random “admin” type items done
- Getting access to my masters program’s new student orientation
Have any questions
Happy new year! Do you have any questions? Feel free to reach out to me on twitter. See you next Sunday. :)